Featured Little Hero Trey Love

Little Hero - Trey Love - The Sierra Rayn Children's Neuroblastoma Foundation

In July of 2008, at the age of 21 months, Trey was diagnosed with stage IV neuroblastoma. It began as a tumor on his left adrenal gland, but had metastasized to another tumor behind his right eye. It also spread to his bone marrow.

His treatment was to be five to six 21-28 day cycles of chemo, stem cell harvesting, surgery, stem cell transplant, radiation, and antibody therapy. His chances at diagnosis were 30-50% survival.

On October 27, 2008, the day after Trey’s 2nd birthday, he began cycle five of chemo. He responded fairly well, and he was ready for surgery. The goal was to remove the bulk of the main tumor in his abdomen, which was done. But since some of the tumor had been intertwined with the blood vessels, the Dr. could not remove it all. So Trey went on to cycle six of chemo.

On Christmas Eve of 2008, Trey received his 1st stem cell transplant, and he did so amazing, he was sent home just 20 days later! Trey kept his spirit and kept on fighting. He started radiation on March 9, 2009 and that went until April 3, 2009. During that time, he stayed at home because had his good days and his bad. We will never forget the day when Trey’s 1st set of post-transplant scans and MIBG results came back clear. He was in remission!

Trey completed all six cycles of antibody therapy and got to go home for a bit. He wanted to go to the zoo, the Renaissance Fair, the park, amusement park and just be around his family and friends. He was enjoying just being a kid, and getting a break away from cancer.

In August of 2009 Trey ran for the 1st time, and all the transplant precautions were lifted.  It was definitely a milestone for all of us! We tried to get back to normal as much as we could. But on September 10, 2009 Trey was placed in the PICU with a gram negative blood infection and a 50% chance of survival. Antibiotics were started and a week later our little fighter was sent home. He was doing great and we took him to Disney World!

Trey turned three years old, and he was still brave, strong and cancer free. Every three months we went in for scans and every three months they scans were clean. Finally his scans graduated to every six months, and he was set to have a scan in May of 2011.

On March 16, 2011 Trey spiked a fever of 105 degrees. It wouldn’t go below 102, and that lasted for the next four days. We kept an eye on him, but on March 20, 2011 he became unresponsive and he was air lifted to CHOP. After tests and scans were done, they revealed that Trey had a brain bleed and an aneurism. His blood pressure dropped to 38/14. Further scans were done and the results were awful: Trey has relapsed in the brain.

As far as medicine goes – there may be no cure. While radiation could be a possibility since the recurrence is on the other side of his head from the tumor Trey had behind his eye originally, the reality is that the cancer will grow faster than he can heal from the surgery – making radiation useless against the disease. A series of tests will be done to see if there are tumors anywhere else in his body. Once all that is complete they will have a better picture as to what the days ahead will bring.

We all will be at CHOP indefinitely. We are asking for your support.

Follow Trey’s updates: www.carepages.com/carepages/TheChemoKid and on Facebook: www.causes.com/treylove

Donate By Phone
Problems Donating?
Email Us:
Shopping Cart

Your shopping cart is empty
Visit the shop